Make a game plan to stay safe on Super Bowl Sunday.
Law enforcement conducting extra patrols to keep drunk drivers off Maryland’s roads.
The Super Bowl is America’s most watched sporting event. On Super Bowl Sunday, February 1, 2015 there will be lots of game day socializing that may include drinking. The Havre de Grace Police Department is urging football fans to choose sides now: drinking OR driving. If you plan on having any alcohol on Super Bowl Sunday, make a plan to get home safely now and stick to your plan on game day.
Drunk and drugged driving has been responsible for the deaths of more than 850 people across Maryland over the last five years. That is why the Havre de Grace Police Department is urging everyone to have a sober ride home if they plan on drinking. We want people to enjoy the game but the bottom line is that if you drink and drive, you will be caught and worst of all, you could kill someone.
Finally, we want to remind motorists to always wear a seat belt and make sure everyone in the vehicle is belted. A properly worn seat belt is the best defense against injury in any crash.
If you are hosting a Super Bowl party:
- Make sure all your guests designate a sober driver in advance, or arrange for alternate transportation to ensure they get home safely.
- Serve food and include non-alcoholic beverages at the party.
- Stop serving alcohol at the end of the third quarter of the game and begin serving coffee and dessert.
- Keep the numbers for local cab companies handy, and take the keys away.
If you are attending a Super Bowl party or watching the game at a sports bar or restaurant:
- Designate your sober driver, or plan another way to get home safely before the party
- If you don’t have a designated driver, then ask a sober friend for a ride home; call a cab, friend, or family member to come and get you; or just stay the night.
- Never let friends drive if they have had too much to drink.