City of Havre de Grace Weekly Briefing
Week of Monday October 30, 2017
- The Mayor and City Council of Havre de Grace will hold a Public Hearing at the City Council Meeting, located at 711 Pennington Ave., Havre de Grace, MD on November 6, 2017 beginning at 7:00 p.m. The purpose of the Hearing will be to receive public comment on the proposed Ordinance 995 which concerns itself with an incentive program for the conversion of multi-family dwellings and/or offices back to single family dwellings in designated geographic areas. A copy of proposed Ordinance 995 is available for review at City Hall and has been placed on the website at www.havredegracemd.com
- The Mayor and City Council of Havre de Grace will hold a Public Hearing at the City Council Meeting, located at 711 Pennington Ave., Havre de Grace, MD on November 6, 2017 beginning at 7:00 p.m. The purpose of the Hearing will be to receive public comment on the proposed Ordinance 994 which concerns itself with City Code Chapter 140 Property Maintenance. A copy of proposed Ordinance 994 is available for review at City Hall and has been placed on the website at www.havredegracemd.com
- Officers participated in a Trunk or Treat for the Havre de Grace Housing Authority. This Trunk or Treat was open to the public and the theme was drug avoidance/awareness.
- Tuesday is Halloween, officers will be patrolling residential areas during trick or treating, please make sure to use sidewalks and use lights to avoid falling in costumes.
- If you would like an officer to speak with your group/club/HOA please contact Cpl. Petz at 410-939-2121 to set it up!
- If you know where illegal drug activity is occurring in Havre de Grace please use this link to report the activity. Havre de Grace Police Drug Tip Page
Department of Public Works:
- Construction on Canvasback Drive culvert to convene in two weeks from October 30, 2017.
- Milling and overlay of Chapel Road to begin October 30, 2017.
- BGE will continue to mill and overlay City Roads this week.
- Upgrades to the Tydings Parks Phase One continues to move forward with a completion of work by the end of November.
- DPW will begin installing Christmas lights throughout the City starting this week October 30, 2017.
- Chapel Road and Ohio Street intersection – right only after October 31, 2017.
Department of Planning:
- Per Weather.com, the 2017 Atlantic hurricane season continues to climb the ranks of the all-time most active seasons on record, thanks to a frenetic stretch of long-lived, destructive hurricanes from mid-August through early October. The hurricane season does not end until November 30th. Even without a hurricane or tropical storm, heavy rains can cause extensive flooding in our City. The City of Havre de Grace has had our Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM) revised by FEMA which became effective on April 19, 2016. Although flood boundary lines on the map may have changed, floods can still happen outside those areas. You may contact the Department of Planning at (410) 939-1800 ext 1123 to find out the flood zone and map information for your property. Ask your insurance agent about flood insurance, which is also available for renters. A Preferred Risk Policy (PRP) offers lower-cost protection for homes and apartments in areas of low to moderate flood risk. These are areas shown as B, C, or X, zones on a FIRM.
- As noted by DPW Division of Stormwater Management, keep your stormdrains clear of leaves, grass, trash and tree debris at all times to minimize flooding in the streets and on your property. Please contact DPW if you notice anyone dumping into a stormdrain or stream.
- Building permits are required for sheds, fences, renovations, decks, and other alterations to buildings and property. If your property is located in a Special Flood Hazard Area, there may be State requirements to comply with also. When hiring a contractor, be sure they are licensed by the State of Maryland. Contact the Department of Planning (410) 939-1800 ext 1102 for permit fees and details.
Department of Finance:
- User Benefit Fees were due September 20, 2017. Please pay by Tuesday, October 31, 2017 to avoid additional penalties.
- 2nd Half of Real Estate Taxes are due by Friday, December 29, 2017 to avoid unnecessary penalties when paying by your banks bills, please schedule payments at least 10 days in advance of the due date. Post mark is not accepted, and payments must be received by the due date.
- Register for Water/Sewer e-Billing online or call Michele or Donna at 410-939-1800.
Department of Economic Development:
- The Havre de Grace Office of Economic Development is proud to report that the Havre de Grace Main Street program has been awarded a $50,000 grant from the Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development Community Legacy Program in support of City’s Façade Improvement Program. The grant request was written by HDGOED and now that 2018 funds have been awarded by the State of Maryland, businesses within the Main Street District can apply for façade improvement funds with the Havre de Grace Office of Economic Development.
- There will be a free presentation at the Havre de Grace Library on Saturday, November 4, from 2 to 5 p.m., entitled The Great War: A Conflict that Changed the World. Known as World War I to later generations the Great War had a tremendous impact upon world economies and this insightful program will prove quite interesting to historians of local, regional and world history.
- HDGOED, as managers of the Havre de Grace Main Street designation with the State of Maryland will be attending the Quarterly Meeting of Maryland Main Street communities in Thurmont, MD, November 6 and 7.
- A special presentation is being made at the Bel Air Public Library at 100 E. Pennsylvania Ave., on Monday, November 6, from 6:30 to 8 p.m. on Harford County’s Medal of Honor recipient Alfred B. Hilton who lived at Gravel Hill, Havre de Grace. This is a free program that is certain to prove very interesting to Havre de Gracians.
- Small Business Saturday is Saturday, November 25, and we encourage you to make plans to shop our outstanding selection of Havre de Grace shops, boutiques and restaurants. HDGOED recently received a large shipment of swag for Small Business Saturday from American Express and the only way you can get your freebies is at a participating Downtown Havre de Grace business!
- Don’t forget the always popular (and sold out) Havre de Grace Chamber of Commerce Prayer Breakfast is coming up on Thursday, November 9 at Silks Restaurant. Tickets are $20 per person and are going quickly.
Office of Tourism:
- Happy Halloween! We hope you have been enjoying the Havre de Grace 10 days of Halloween!
- Havre de Grace Halloween Parade- Monday, October 30 at 6:00 pm. The HdG Recreation Committee has been hosting the parade for over 30 years. Meet at the corner of Washington Street and Congress Ave, dressed in costume, to register for the parade and contest.
- Farmers Market will continue under the big white tent in Hutchins Park until the end of November.
- La Banque de Fleuve and Swan Harbor Farm will hold bridal open houses this Saturday, November 4.
Cultural Center at the Opera House
- Havre de Grace High School Theatre Productions presents Voices from the heart and from the souls: Letters/ Selections from “Spoon River Anthology” on Friday and Saturday, November 3 & 4 at 7:30pm