City of Havre de Grace Weekly Briefing:
Week of Monday, August 21, 2017.
Office of the Mayor:
- Tuesday, August 15, 2017 Mayor Martin met with the Havre de Grace Alliance to discuss new ways of promoting business and economic development.
- Wednesday, August 16, 2017 Mayor Martin attended the groundbreaking ceremony of The Yard at Coakley’s Pub.
- Saturday, August 19, 2017 Mayor Martin attended:
- The 54th Annual Havre de Grace Art Show.
- The Havre de Grace Green Team Picnic held at Hutchins Park.
- The Grand Opening and Ribbon Cutting of the Artist Emporium located at 220 N. Washington St.
- Mayor Martin invites all citizens, elected officials, and members of the press to join him and the city council this Saturday, August 26, 2017 at 9:00 a.m to celebrate the completion of the all-access playground at Tydings Park.
- Monday, August 21, 2017 The Mayor and City Council will meet at 7:00 p.m.
- Friday, September 8, 2017 The Water/Sewer Commission will meet at 3:00 p.m.
- With today being the solar eclipse, please don’t wear your eclipse viewing glasses while driving. Also, do not use your phone to take photos of the eclipse while driving.
- With school starting, walkers make sure you are using crosswalks and looking both ways before crossing the street.
- When we have heavy rain, please avoid areas that are prone to flooding. If you come across water that is high alert the Havre de Grace Police and turn around and use an alternative route.
Department of Public Works:
- Final touches at Tydings Park being completed this week for the all-access playground.
- A new water fountain is being installed at Tydings Park this week.
- City crews have been busy taking care of the city after Friday’s harsh rainstorm. Downed tree limbs, gravel displacement, clogged storm drains have presented a busy time for city staff.
DPW – Division of Stormwater Management:
- GIS-Based Mapping System – Beehive is an invaluable program and will be utilized to locate and track stormwater devices, drains, maintenance and work orders. This system will be crucial to our reporting parameters as required by Maryland Department of the Environment.
- The Division is preparing to send in proposals for grant funding opportunities following release of the Chesapeake Bay Trust’s request for proposal postings opening the grants.
- Remember to join in the fun by participating in the Harford Streams Summer Adventure going on now through 9/4/17. Follow the link and be sure to stop by the two locations for pictures in our City. http://www.harfordcountymd.gov/1908/Summer-Adventure
- The average automobile can be swept off the road in 12 inches of moving water, and roads covered by water are prone to collapse. Attempting to drive through water also may stall your engine, with the potential to cause irreparable damage if you try to restart the engine. If you come upon a flooded street, take an alternate route.
- If anyone notices someone dumping into a stormdrain please notify City Hall at 410-939-1800, ext. 1128. Anything going into the drains except for stormwater is illicit.
Department of Finance:
- Having trouble paying your real or personal property taxes? The City will accept monthly payments to help ease your burden. Penalties still apply to any unpaid balance after the due date.
- Water and Sewer turn offs will be next week, on Tuesday 8/29/17. Please pay by Monday to avoid the $50 fee and having your water turned off.
- Register for e-billing online or call Michele at (410) 939-1800 to register or with any water and sewer billing questions.
Department of Economic Development:
- The Havre de Grace Office of Economic Development has partnered with Maryland Grow and Fortify to host an informational seminar at Havre de Grace City Hall Tues., Sept. 26, from 6 to 8 p.m., on the Craft Brewery Movement in Maryland. The seminar will present information to interested brewers and producers regarding state programs and assistance for not only breweries but distillers, with information available about opportunities for same in the City of Havre de Grace. Grow & Fortify will be sending out information on the workshop in the near future but those who are interested in the seminar and being on the attendance of only 50 persons may contact Erika Quesenbery Sturgill, Director of HDG Economic Development at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-939-1800 ext. 1175.
- The Havre de Grace Economic Development Advisory Board held a unique monthly meeting Wed., August 16, by touring Thymly Products on Juniata Street, with President Trey Muller-Thym and Supply Chain Manager Vince Reynolds. Thymly Products is a bakery supply business that will be marking 50 years in business this year.
- Tideway Dermatology has relocated from their South Union Avenue offices to a greatly expanded location on Revolution Street. Dr. David Jaffe specializes in medical and surgical treatment of all conditions pertaining to the skin, hair and nails, and his office has been elected by his physician peers for inclusion in Best Doctors from 2001 to 2004, 2007 to 2008 and 2011 to 2014. The new office is at 930 Revolution Street and opened officially Thursday, August 17, at 8 a.m.
- The Havre de Grace Office of Economic Development is working in cooperation with the Harford County Office of Economic Development for Business Appreciation Week in Harford County September 18 to 23. Havre de Grace businesses will be recognized on Tuesday, September 19, with the day capped off with the 2nd Annual Business Appreciation Happy Hour also slated, with details to follow in coming weeks.
Office of Tourism:
- The 54th Annual Havre de Grace Arts Show was held at Tydings Park on Saturday and Sunday August 19 and 20. The event was a huge success and with over 100 vendors selling their art on display.
- August 24- Thursday Night Sailboat Races
- August 24- Thursday Night live Re-Live the Beatles At The Cultural Center at The Opera House
- August 26- Farmers Market
- August 26- All-Access Playground at Tydings Park Celebration
Police Captain- Click here to view job description.