Havre de Grace Under Fire
War of 1812 Commemoration Project
This project was funded through grants from the National Park Service and Maryland Heritage Areas Authority and by the City of Havre de Grace.
The project includes:
- A model of Havre de Grace prior to its burning on May 3, 1813 located at the Havre de Grace Visitor Center, related display panels, and original works of art that surround the model
- Fourteen (14) outdoor wayside signs located in parks and public rights-of-way throughout Havre de Grace
- Informational displays at five area museums, to include the Susquehanna Museum at the Lockhouse, the Concord Point Lighthouse and Keeper’s House, the Havre de Grace Maritime Museum, the Havre de Grace Decoy Museum, and Steppingstone Museum
- Two traveling trunks with appropriate educational curricula for elementary and secondary students available through the Havre de Grace Visitor Center
- Walking tour brochures for structures that survived the attack
The following includes all artwork – display panels and wayside signs – in a consolidated location so that the project and its resource material may be viewed in one location.
All original artwork on the panels and the design work were done by Bill Watson, with production by the locally-owned business, Office Centre. Heidi Glatfelter, a consultant, and Brigitte Peters, Tourism and Marketing Manager for the City of Havre de Grace, were project managers for the grant administration and project development. Volunteers and staff from all area museums and members of the community were involved in content development. In addition, the model was created by volunteers from Chesapeake Heritage Conservancy, Inc. who operate the Skipjack Martha Lewis as their contribution to War of 1812 Commemoration effort. Special recognition goes to the late Brenda Guldenzopf, Councilwoman and Executive Director for the Havre de Grace Maritime Museum, for her foresight to seek the grant-funding that allowed for this collaborative effort.